PDA

View Full Version : Sup from Niagara Falls, NY!

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 12:37 AM
I figure I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Neil and im a capricorn and like long walks at sunset... :D

I started racing back in 1986 with a grasshopper. I raced (mostly offroad) until 1991.. thats when I got a real car and discovered girls. I got married 2 years ago - a month after the wedding I realized that RC was the only thing that would keep me sane. Marriage isnt as fun as I thought! :rolleyes:

Anyways.. I normally race 1/8th buggy in the summer and micros in the winter (carpet). This year the owners of our 1/8th scale track decided to open an indoor dirt track for Mini Trucks and Buggies. Needless to say I ran out and bought a HALF8. This car seems to have a ton of potential.. thanks to all the after market stuff available.

So thats my story. I plan on attending a few large, out of state 1/8th scale races this winter... but for the most part I will be running my HALF8.

Two years ago when I realized I needed a hobby I should have chose crack cocaine.. I figure its cheaper and probably less addicting.. but here I am.. back at RC and loving it!! :)

mat3833
10-22-2005, 12:41 AM
lol my name is matt i am a scorpio and i also like long walks(while driving my rc cars) on the beach! lol :D

cocaine, hmmmmm cheaper maby not but less addicting for shure!! glad you found Halfeight forums. i look forward to seeing pics of your H8 soon

Matt

bluegrooveracer
10-22-2005, 03:44 PM
hi Neil team bluegroove here from st catharines the 3 of us here will be joining you this winter at full throttle with our half8's and mini bk's and mini bj4's

mat3833
10-22-2005, 04:56 PM
woah!! mini Bj4? fill me in here, when did i miss it?

Matt

bluegrooveracer
10-22-2005, 06:21 PM
sorry to get your hopes up matt we only made 3

mat3833
10-22-2005, 09:58 PM
im shure one of these has a price right? :D LOL i cant even afford tires for my H8. how does it handel?

DrVonHoSS what does your H8 have on it? how do you like it?

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 11:39 PM
hi Neil team bluegroove here from st catharines the 3 of us here will be joining you this winter at full throttle with our half8's and mini bk's and mini bj4's

BlueGroove.. this this winter should be some great racing! Glad to hear that the 3 of you will be racing with us. :)

im shure one of these has a price right? :D LOL i cant even afford tires for my H8. how does it handel?

DrVonHoSS what does your H8 have on it? how do you like it?

Matt

Matt.. heres what I got so far..
Im still waiting for all my 3 Racing aluminum stuff. I pretty much got the chassis done. The deck above the servo is for a personal transponder.. and notice the Mambas switch mounted to that deck also. Since our 1/8th scale races were rained out today.. I worked on the HALF8.. all day! I have an 11.1v 2100mah thunder power Lipo coming in the mail.. it will fit on the drivers side of the chassis and will be held down with velcro straps. I'm waiting to mill the velcro mounting holes until I get the battery. Heres some pics..

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H85.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H86.jpg

mat3833
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
nice ride!! i like the chassis, and the motor placement. hey what servo are you using? if its not hitec can i get your hitec servo mount?? i ordered the wrong part off ebay and im kinda short on cash right now, i could send you like 5 bucks for it.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 11:55 PM
nice ride!! i like the chassis, and the motor placement. hey what servo are you using? if its not hitec can i get your hitec servo mount?? i ordered the wrong part off ebay and im kinda short on cash right now, i could send you like 5 bucks for it.

Matt

Matt,

I am using a HS85 servo but I am not using the stock mount. I'll send it out for free.. just email me your mailing info to drvonhoss@aol.com. drvonhoss@aol.com

Neil

mat3833
10-23-2005, 12:03 AM
thanks man, i have one question tho. i need servo mount H. the stock one will not work, i have an HS81mg that i need to use(i have a mamba). now if you arent using servo mount H then i will send you my address. but if you are i apreciate your generosity.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
thanks man, i have one question tho. i need servo mount H. the stock one will not work, i have an HS81mg that i need to use(i have a mamba). now if you arent using servo mount H then i will send you my address. but if you are i apreciate your generosity.

Matt

Im not using any of the servo mounts t came with.. its your if u want it.

mat3833
10-23-2005, 12:27 AM
you got mail, thanks so much! now i can finaly drive my H8 with full steering!

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 12:31 AM
you got mail, thanks so much! now i can finaly drive my H8 with full steering!

Matt

No problem.. I'll mail it out Monday.

mat3833
10-23-2005, 12:31 AM
cool. and what mounts are you using?

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 12:58 AM
cool. and what mounts are you using?

Matt

I made an alimunim/graphite mount.

mat3833
10-23-2005, 01:04 AM
made as in walt to CNC and make? cool, if i had the design i could make one 2. i have a cad drawing of a mini t shock tower, there is like 3 different ones. a stock one and two with more mounting holes. my school has 2 CNCs.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Something I forgot to mention in my introduction...

Two winters ago.. when I bought my Mini-T.. I wanted an aluminum bumper. At that time no one made one. So I got some aluminum and used a band saw to make a bumper. It turned out so nice I decided to try selling them on Ebay. Orders started pouring in so fast that I could barely keep up. I decided to buy a Mill to speed up the operation and improve quality. I continued to sell hundreds of bumpers. Then I started making Sway Bars, Front Shock Towers, Graphite Chassis, and a few other parts. Business was great! Then GPM released there Hop-Up parts and I was finished! I couldnt compete with there prices. The name of the "company" was Eclipse Racing Products. Some of you may have bought parts from me. I went on to make parts for the MBX-5.. but on a very limited basis. Now I custom paint bodies for extra cash.. http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4074&start=0

I have designed a graphite chassis for the HALF8 and have sent it over to a machine shop to have them mass produced on a CNC mill. Im not sure about the price yet. The chassis will allow the motor to be mounted in the stock location or reversed (like my car). The reversed motor set-up will only work with a brushless or a brushed motor with adjustable timing. The reversed motor layout is perfect for the Thunder Power 11.1v 2100mah battery (100mm X 34mm). These chassis will be 100% made in USA and should be ready for shipment in two weeks.

If anyone is interested let me know. My main concern is making sure some are available to our local racers. The rest will be sold on Ebay.

Heres a pic of my Mini-T.. http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/Mini-TPic2.jpg

mat3833
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
you dont hapen to have autocad do you? if so i can send you my mini t shock tower drawings and if you like them you can make a few of them.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
you dont hapen to have autocad do you? if so i can send you my mini t shock tower drawings and if you like them you can make a few of them.

Matt

Matt...
I do have autocad but I dont own a CNC mill. I send all my CNC work out to a local shop. You really think Mini-T hop-ups would sell??

mat3833
10-23-2005, 11:36 PM
not realy i just want to see one made. i spent a month and a half total on these shock towers and my teacher tells me that the cnc at my school doesnt have a bit that small!! it drove me insane. but im over it now, i just want to see how it would look on a mini t.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-23-2005, 11:45 PM
not realy i just want to see one made. i spent a month and a half total on these shock towers and my teacher tells me that the cnc at my school doesnt have a bit that small!! it drove me insane. but im over it now, i just want to see how it would look on a mini t.

Matt

You can buy a small End Mill on ebay for under 10 bucks.

mat3833
10-23-2005, 11:47 PM
like as in i load my autocad dwg and it machines? if so my H8 will be on hold!

Matt

Hawk
10-24-2005, 04:12 AM
:cool: Hi Dr., welcome to the H8 forums. I have a question(s) that you could answer. I am thinking about getting a mini mill to do some fab work on parts for my cars/trucks (mostly 1/8) in aluminum and some carbon fiber parts for the Mini inferno. Do you know if these machines would be a good fit for this kind of work. I have seen lots of stuff on the net about them, linke mini-lathe.com where there is info on mini-mills too.
I was interested in this mill: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82710 .
any advice you could give would help.Thanks,
Hawk

DrVonHoSS
10-24-2005, 06:49 AM
:cool: Hi Dr., welcome to the H8 forums. I have a question(s) that you could answer. I am thinking about getting a mini mill to do some fab work on parts for my cars/trucks (mostly 1/8) in aluminum and some carbon fiber parts for the Mini inferno. Do you know if these machines would be a good fit for this kind of work. I have seen lots of stuff on the net about them, linke mini-lathe.com where there is info on mini-mills too.
I was interested in this mill: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82710 .
any advice you could give would help.Thanks,
Hawk

Hey Hawk..

That link you sent me was for a lathe. You would probably want a mill. I bought my mill at harbor freight for around $500 and it works pretty good. I just checked there web site and it doesnt look like they carry it anymore. My mill is nothing compared to a $20,000 CNC mill but it works good for what I need. I think my mill is reaching the end of its life span... it just broke again yesterday and its only 2 years old. It was cheaply made and I use it a lot. If I were to buy another one I would probably buy a better one, maybe a CNC.

Once you learn how to use a mill its very useful... not to mention.. designing your own parts it great! It really adds to the whole hopping up your car experience and you can make a few bucks on the side. If you want the specs and model number of the mill I have let me know. They probably still sell them at the harbor freight stores. A buddy of mine is selling a CNC mill for $12,000 and I want it! Problem is my wife would kill me if I spent that much money on a "tool".

Neil

BitHed
10-24-2005, 07:54 AM
...WOW :) This is a tasty thread...I cant believe i missed it...Hoss your carbon chassis looks good mate...I cant wait to hear how it runs...Looks very clean and very well done...and you are shipping it WITH holes drilled for the motor reversal? Now that there right there is a good idea ;) Keep me posted :cool:

DrVonHoSS
10-24-2005, 07:57 AM
...WOW :) This is a tasty thread...I cant believe i missed it...Hoss your carbon chassis looks good mate...I cant wait to hear how it runs...Looks very clean and very well done...and you are shipping it WITH holes drilled for the motor reversal? Now that there right there is a good idea ;) Keep me posted :cool:

Yes.. the plan is to allow the user to place the motor in either location. I figure I can compete with 3Racing if my chassis offers something there's dont.

Hawk
10-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. Ooops, yes I linked to the lathe ( which I would also consider getting) but the Mini Mark mill is here: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82573 .
I was wondering about the milling of carbon fiber. It looks like it can be done but I believe the production way of processing carbon plate is with a water jet. Does milling do a fair job without splintering the material? If you did your chassis with a mill apparently it works well based on finish.
I was wondering about using molds for layup instead of buying plate and cutting it up. Do you have any experience with that?
Once again for your answers and the info. Good luck on you Half8.

dARRYL :cool: