PDA

View Full Version : HALF8 Balls Diffs

DrVonHoSS
10-19-2005, 01:16 AM
How do the ball diffs compare to the stock diffs offroad?

I plan on using an AON4900 with 7.4v Lipos - racing offroad. Ive bought pretty much every aluminum part made but I have not bought anything for the drive line. Actually I dont even have my car yet.. it should be in at my LHS tomorrow I hope. Aluminum parts keep showing up in the mail and I have nothing to attach them too.. its driving me crazy!! :o

If anyone has any advice about set-up and hop-ups for running on an offroad track please help me out!!

BitHed
10-19-2005, 01:20 AM
...Welcome to the boards Hoss...Please read through RONNYS CORNER and do some research through all the posts on the boards...There is ALOT of stuff here...

...Right now I can RECOMMEND a FULL 3RACING drivetrain...Your stock units might NOT like your power source...

...The 3RACING ball diffs will be out very soon...Hopefully by the end of November but that is NOT definite...3R has FINALLY settled on their make-up and is testing them for market as we speak...

...If you SERIOUSLY racing i would caution you on fitting ALL alloy parts...Try and keep your weight down...But to each his own ;) Hope this helps...Peace..

DrVonHoSS
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
What about Atomic ball diffs... any good??

Smoothound
10-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Some are using them, I tried them and disliked them :eek:

Back using standard diffs until the ST diffs are available...probably :rolleyes:

DrVonHoSS
10-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I installed the MIP ball diff in my Mini-T and didnt like the performance and went back to stock.

I realize that the aluminum arms may be a little heavy for racing. Its tough to say.. on one hand a lighter car will react faster. But on the other hand a heavier car should get more traction and come out on top in the event that 2 buggies bump each other on the track.

I hope to have my new HALF8 this afternoon.. my fingers are crossed!

Oh yah.. is there a place online to order stock HALF8 parts? After market stuff is easy to find but I can't seem to locate a supplier of stock parts.

kcobello
10-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Yee haa! Im in too :D . Hoss you have your "Bling" eight ready yet?

I hope we dont have to wait long for parts for these halfeights :eek:

BitHed
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
...ATOMIC balls are good if you get them wired...many users dont like them...I run ATOMIC front and rear, done up quite tight and a little bit modified here and there; nothing major though..I like them...But i dont have the 3R sets to compare to yet...

...Try the shop here for stock parts or get them from me ;)

mat3833
10-20-2005, 12:05 AM
i am going to wait for the ST diffs(if they ever come out!!) i want to be able to tune more precisly and not have to worry about it losening up.

Matt

mat3833
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
oh and bit you got mail again.

Matt

DrVonHoSS
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Well.. I got my HALF8 today!!! :)

I pulled it out of the box and completly disassembled it.

I made a graphite chassis and reversed the center diff. I am hoping the Lipo pack is around the same weight as the motor. I plan on milling new chassis braces tomorrow. It comes with the stock MBX-5 type braces. I have to figure out a way to make the motor mount adjustable while still counter sinking it. I used 2.5mm graphite.. I could prolly mill out 1mm but the heads of the screws would still hang below the car.

I put the aluminum A Arms on.. they dont seem as heavy as I thought they would be. I realized a bunch of hop-ups I ordered (but am still waiting for) were a waste of money. The aluminum fake engine head is awesome.. but complety usless for racing. I wont be using the graphie upper deck I bought either. The car really isnt as chessy as I thought it would be but the drive line seems a bit weak. I havent seen many people complain so they must be OK.

I wonder if my stock electronics have any value.

Bithed.. I will definetly keep that in mind. How fast is shipping from Japan?

Kevin.. I'll bring my car to the track on Saturday so you can check it out.

BitHed
10-20-2005, 12:28 AM
...Hey Hoss...cant wait to seem of your projects..Keep us posted...My shipping is pretty quick ;) Not bad for the price...

...Matt...dood start 'editing' instead of posting every little thing that comes into your head ;) Keeps things together...

R32dude
10-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Bit, what are reasonable ETA's for 3Racing diffs and the ST diffs???

BitHed
10-20-2005, 04:09 AM
...I will gamble my soul for you R32 and say MID-NOV for 3R diffs and LATE-NOV for ST parts of ANY sort...If asked about this later on I will claim the 5th Amendment ;)

R32dude
10-20-2005, 06:45 AM
lol -thanks though

DrVonHoSS
10-20-2005, 10:10 PM
I got the chassis almost done. I just need to make a servo/esc mount and the chassis braces. Im still waiting for my bling bling from Dinball and Stella Models.. hopefully it will arrive soon!! Heres a few pics..

http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H81.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H82.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H83.jpg
http://members.aol.com:/drvonhoss/H84.jpg

mat3833
10-20-2005, 10:16 PM
awwww, it had a baby! lol the body looks awesome and so does the chassis

Matt

RC_Guru
10-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Back to the topic. I have 3 Atomic Ball Diffs for front/rear and center. I have set the center ball diff very tight and it worked well with my locked slipper gear, no more front wheel spin on take-off and had enough differential effect for jump and landing. For front and rear, I set them tight but become loose and slip after few runs. Try tighten more, the car now hardly turn in sharp curve. My solution, front diff back to stock, ball diff for rear with tight setting, and ball diff for center with very tight setting. No wear or broken part after disassembled. Atomic parts are o.k. for me.

BitHed
10-21-2005, 02:55 AM
For front and rear, I set them tight but become loose and slip after few runs. Try tighten more, the car now hardly turn in sharp curve. My solution, front diff back to stock, ball diff for rear with tight setting, and ball diff for center with very tight setting. No wear or broken part after disassembled. Atomic parts are o.k. for me.

...Guru..Interesting that they lossened on you...I havent had that problem...Just thinking about what the difference between yours and mine could be but i cant put a finger on it...

...I actually sanded the BALL SIDE of my rings very lightly and they got even better...And I 0.3mm shimmed the side with the 'removeable' cup...I am not running the canter yet but it is on its way ;)

plain_simple
10-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm almost back on the horse because the resolution of that issue we talked about is just an inch to be home free Bit
So now... how do those Atomic ball diff go? I wonder how much they can handle and how much time the 3R version will be released... I'm curious about your comments on that... Sensei Bit ;)

BitHed
10-22-2005, 01:55 AM
...Welcome back PLain...I missed you buddy...I have had your project' in the back of my mind for a while...Hope its all working out for you...Apologies for not being able to hook up for the bike show...Maybe next year..

...I have no problem with the ATOMIC diffs but some people do..I personally think the 3R WILL be better, plus i like the fact that the outdrives are built-in, although the ATOMIC center DOES have built-in outdrives...

...My ATOMIC diffs have had their bearings replaced with BOCA CERAMICs which has GREATLY improved everything and i will be shifting these bearings to the 3R units when they arrive too..but at this stage, without even seeing the 3R units, I think they will be better...i mean it has taken them THIS long to get them out so there has to be good reason for that...

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I keep hearing about ST diffs. Whats the deal with that?

BitHed
10-22-2005, 02:32 AM
...hoss the Mini Inferno Stadium Truck version; The ST, will be coming out soon and it has sealable oil / grease fillable diffs with a slightly different gearing apparently..HOPEFULLY these units will do away with diff-stress and allow infinite tuning with different oil weights etc...Sounds yummy doesn it ;)

DrVonHoSS
10-22-2005, 02:38 AM
...hoss the Mini Inferno Stadium Truck version; The ST, will be coming out soon and it has sealable oil / grease fillable diffs with a slightly different gearing apparently..HOPEFULLY these units will do away with diff-stress and allow infinite tuning with different oil weights etc...Sounds yummy doesn it ;)

That would be awesome. There doesnt seem to be enough room in the HALF8 gearboxes to make that possible though. Do the stock diffs hold up to brushless power? (sorry if I asked this before)..

BitHed
10-22-2005, 02:44 AM
...stock diffs ARE ok but you WILL get a better ride with ball diffs IMO...Right now ATOMIC has theirs out and we are waiting for 3R and TRINITY...