PDA

View Full Version : No Half-8 yet ?

marcus
03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Guys.
I was sniffing round the net looking for option parts for the Half-8 and I tripped over this site. Looks good, I may stick around for a bit if that's cool :)

I was kinda surprised to read that nobody has one yet ? What's all this April 1st stuff ? I've had mine over a week now, and my LHS has 5 sitting on the shelf waiting to go.

I've fitted ballraces to it (Why didn't they factory fit them ?) and also Oil filled shocks. I was very disturbed to see they use dry shocks in stock form, very poor.

My 8000 Mamba is on the way over from Bishops in the States. I have good experience of them having had one in my Mini-T and presently in my RC18T.

I'm looking forward to some hopups for it already ! :rolleyes:

http://www.mkeeler.com/upload/maxbash/half8_1.jpg
http://www.mkeeler.com/upload/maxbash/half8_5.jpg

dog
03-31-2005, 11:29 PM
well how does it run?
does it match the hype?
any review?

BitHed
03-31-2005, 11:40 PM
...So where are you? How much did you pay for it? How does it run? spill the beans...

mpetrich
04-01-2005, 12:10 AM
HEY!!!
We need a quick review! How does it run?!
How are the oil filled shocks?!
Thanks for the help.
Matt

TNB
04-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Like where are the "In your dirt" photos?

BitHed
04-01-2005, 01:08 AM
...Marcus KYOSHO are the option kings :) They will make us pay for EVERY little part...lol...

...Hows the drive with and without bearings?

...stock shox and oil...good ? better ? best?

...The halfeight was never released as a SUPER platform...it is aimed at beginners and families and racers children but still have enough options for us hardcore users to MOD...

adrenalinrush123998
04-01-2005, 01:17 AM
i hate you...... :mad:

how is it?
can it be packed back into the box it comes in after opening so i can use the box as a carrying case (i learned to start using the boxes for that when i got my first helicopter....)

where did you get batts for it? are you running AA's? are they rechargeable?
hows the performance? how much did you pay for it? what other upgrades did you see? can you sticky-tac your uncle to an oil tanker?

BTW: if my LHS...or tower...or here doesnt get them in soon enough and the prices arent right....id be willing to buy one off you iof you picked it up at your LHS.....depending on the rpcie...

RURC
04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Marcus is a Bugger

Sing it happily to yourself or out loud and it really dose make you feel better :D

WhoMe
04-01-2005, 04:35 AM
No H8 yet. Waiting on Bit to make the big announcement.

marcus
04-01-2005, 07:57 AM
OK Ok, LOL, I'll spill the beans.

Firstly, I'm in Holland. My LHS is a main dealer for Kyosho. I ordered two Half 8's as soon as I heard about them some months ago. They didn't know what they were but made the order anyway LOL
I got a call about 10 days ago telling me they had arrived, they were as excited as me !

Retail in Europe is 205 Euros RTR. I have a good relationship with my LHS and I paid 190 Euros each for them, a White and a Yellow.

First impressions:

Packaging is awesome, puts me in mind of Apple Computer packaging. It's designed to be attractive and functional. How can I say ? It's a box I'll keep instead of throwing away, if that makes sense ! :rolleyes:

When the lid came off the box, in the shop (They were desperate to see it) there were coo's and arrh's from the crowd which had gathered, it is such a little Honey. It really is a scaled down 777 in almost every way. Rob, my friend has a new MP777 and he went out and bought a Half-8 as soon as he saw mine, just to display next to his full size version!

In the shop I realised that the hubs didn't have any ball races, so I bought some there and then. The plastic bushes they use are really awful ! The other thing which upset me was that the shocks are not oil filled units. The thing just looked stupid when you depressed the suspension, the rebound put me in mind of a mini-t on stock shocks, boing boing boing boing boing

Luckily I had some suitable oil filled shocks at home which fit, the Half-8 shocks are a lot chunkier in size than the Mini-T or RC18T and I had a set of 1/10th scale shocks which fit like a glove. Can't recall what they came from though, I've had them for ages !

I ran it with 6xAA's installed, ie, stock. I used 2300mah Sanyos. They lasted for quite a while, but frankly the performance was very dull. A kyosho option part is an 8-cell saddle pack, they include a pair of battery stays to fit in the event that 8 cells are used. I made up my own 8-cell 1100mah pack and the car immediately rewarded me with a much punchier performance :o

I had to tighten the slipper clutch as it was waaaaay too loose, something to look out for. Rob's slipper clutch was fine, so maybe mine was a fluke.

In summary, this is an awesome model, you guys will be very happy with it.

Parts you MUST buy when you are collecting it from the LHS are:

8 x Hub Ball races (Gearbox's are ball raced)
4 x Oil filled shocks
8 x 1100mah NiMh cells

If I can help any or anyone has more q's, just fire away, I'll help if I can.

Marcus
:)

http://www.mkeeler.com/upload/maxbash/h8_oil1.jpg

mpetrich
04-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the update!
We have heard that if you run an 8 cell pack in the H8, you will need a battery protection unit (basically a voltage reducer) so not to fry the electronics (Rx, ESC, Servo). Is that true or did you just stick in an 8 cell pack and everything ran fine? I hope.........................
Thanks,
Matt

marcus
04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Nah, I just threw the batteries in and it's been fine, so far. Doesn't seem to get hot or anything, so....
If it lasts until my Mamba arrives I'll be happy.

mpetrich
04-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the info. My Mamba is going in as soon as I get my H8 in the mail. Should be only a few more days now.
Thanks,
Matt

BitHed
04-01-2005, 11:18 AM
...packing it now matty ;)

lukeita
04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Hello!
What kind of batteries are better for a 8-cell pack?
Size? Brand? Thanks!
(8 normal AA batteries -like GP 2300- will fit? Or have I to buy a 2/3AA size batteries?)

chrille
04-01-2005, 11:42 AM
If you`ll gonna do a 8 cell pack you`ll need 2/3A cells! And good 2/3A cells is GPs! :) 2,5$ at rcmart.

mpetrich
04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
...packing it now matty ;)

WAHOO!!!!! :D :D
Thanks Bit!!

BitHed
04-01-2005, 12:40 PM
...GP1100's are cheaper from Helotes ;)

marcus
04-01-2005, 01:31 PM
yea, I'm using Gp1100's myself. Try Here (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cbpsite/mainasp.asp?session_id=235395&cmd=&promoid=)

lukeita
04-01-2005, 01:51 PM
...GP1100's are cheaper from Helotes ;)

Hello
Here they are... 29.95$

http://65.18.186.162/~main/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/half8batt.jpg

vindictor67
04-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I just read on 1 18th that Great Planes and Kyosho have officially parted ways. Has anyone who Pre-ordered from Tower Hobbies heard anything or recieved anything? Maybe we should start having people who have recieved a half eight let the rest of us know where they ordered from. :confused:

Just a thought :eek:

KURTMEYER69
04-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Where In The Usa Can I Get These Awesome Buggys? K

acsubie
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I just read on 1 18th that Great Planes and Kyosho have officially parted ways. Has anyone who Pre-ordered from Tower Hobbies heard anything or recieved anything? Maybe we should start having people who have recieved a half eight let the rest of us know where they ordered from. :confused:

i pre-ordered from them , just so i knew i was in line for one, but im really expecting a huge delay.....my status say "invoiced, awaiting product from manufacturer"----dont't hold your breath

once this site stocks, im sure i will be canceling tower

vindictor67
04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Diddo,

Hey bit, There are a couple on e-bay for $200 + $30 shipping from Hong Kong. Do you have any info when halfeight.com will be getting a shipment? Can I pre-order from you or should I just get it off of e-bay????? :confused:

arch2b
04-01-2005, 07:23 PM

the gp/kyosho split news has been around for months.

ixlr8
04-02-2005, 05:12 AM
hi marcus i was wondering if you could do me a big favor please take the stock servo and see if it fits in the circled part in the pic im attaching but try it face down if you could LMK by tomarrow that when im going to the LHS that way i know if an hs-225mg will fit cause i think the stock servo is as big as an hs-225mg and then ill try to mount it like thati will be getting a 8cell gp pack and a servo and some stuff and if it dose fit then ill probley buy one but if not then maybe not but ill try it anyway but a quik heads up woiuld be great thanx by by TTFN

chrille
04-02-2005, 10:52 AM
ixlr8, the HS-225 mg servo is WAY to large! A servo that would fit if you uses the mount for it is the HS-85, i`m gonna juse that later...

marcus
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Chrille, saves me having to tear my baby down :)

chrille
04-02-2005, 11:24 AM
It`s only fun to help! ;) Think i`m gonna buy a HS-85 today and replace the stock electronics...maybe....

arch2b
04-02-2005, 11:28 AM
It`s only fun to help! ;) Think i`m gonna buy a HS-85 today and replace the stock electronics...maybe....
when you find something that fits..... post it here (http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116)

chrille
04-02-2005, 11:32 AM
The Hitec HS-85 BB/MG fits, thats soure! But i dont know anything about other manufacters servos, havent looked on them yet...

halfEIGHT
04-06-2005, 05:52 PM
i pre-ordered from them , just so i knew i was in line for one, but im really expecting a huge delay.....my status say "invoiced, awaiting product from manufacturer"----dont't hold your breath

once this site stocks, im sure i will be canceling tower

halfEIGHT.com just got them in - email shop@ w/ your zip code for a quote - we won't be listing them in the Shop initially - email only. :)

halfEIGHT
04-08-2005, 09:13 PM
halfEIGHT.com just got them in - email shop@ w/ your zip code for a quote - we won't be listing them in the Shop initially - email only. :)

Btw, email us with the best deal you've found and we'll do our best to match or beat it! :)

arch2b
04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
is that with or without shipping?

halfEIGHT
04-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Shipped price for 2-3 day delivery - thanks for pointing that out. e.g. if some rip-off HK store is charging $100 for the car plus $100 shipping, we'll match that $200 total, but we can't match just the $100 "fake" price obviously! :)